Civilization V is coming to the Steam Workshop!
- By Greg Laabs
- 2K Games
- Senior Community Manager
- Fri Jun 01, 2012
As a huge long-time fan of the Civilization modding community, it brings me quite a bit of joy to announce that Civilization V is coming to the Steam Workshop!
When Civilization V released nearly 2 years ago, it included a feature that allowed players to browse a list of community-created mods and install them directly inside the game. With the Gods & Kings expansion pack on the horizon, we've decided to go a step further and overhaul the system to use Steam Workshop (and yes, this will be for the base game as well, not just the expansion!)
Never used Steam Workshop before? Here are the improvements it has over the current system:
• Don't want to fire up the game to see what mods are available? No problem. Browse mods either in-game or on the Steam Workshop website.
• Find a mod that you really like, and want to see what else the author has made? Check out the author's personal Workshop to see everything he or she has made. You can even "Follow" authors to keep track of their future mods.
• Found a perfect combination of mods that work well together and want to tell others about it? Create a "Collection" and share it with your friends.
• Like the idea of a mod, but don't want to necessarily install it right now? Add it to your favorites and you'll be able to keep track of it without installing.
• Love a mod and want others to know? Comment directly on the mod in the Workshop.
I'll be posting a forum thread on our official forums next week with more details about what this switch means to mod authors, as well as information on how mod authors can get early access to the patch and Workshop to start getting your mods on the new Workshop!